Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 16:07:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Wes Santee" <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jerry@border.com, terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telling if User PPP is up or down

Terry Lambert sez:

> > Call me bind, BUT, How is this going to tell if the dial-on-demand
> > feature has the line currently in use.
>
> replace "ppp" with the name of the program that is running the link.
>
> If the program that is there when the link is there is present, then
> the link is up.

With the user-process PPP daemon, however, the program can still be
in memory even if the link is off-line.  It sits there waiting for
outbound traffic to be generated in which case, it brings up the
link again. IOW, there is never going to be a time when the program
that is running the link isn't going to be in the 'ps' listings, even
if the link is currently off-line.

Thanks for trying to help out, though.  I (and some others who have
e-mailed me privately), am still looking for answers if you've got
'em!

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>  |                                )