Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 05:25:27 -0500
From:      Anthony Fox <adf5j@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   two ethernets, nat, firewall

I am having problems with network configuration.  First, the following
is how I am attempting to set up my network:

One FreeBSD box acting as gateway and firewall with two ethernet
cards.  The outside ethernet card is xl0 with a static ip address.
The internal nic card is dc0 with ip 192.168.0.1.

One Debian linux box internally with one ethernet card at ip
192.168.0.2.

Both machines are connected to a hub.  The xl0 interface on the BSD
box is connected to my dsl modem.

However, I cannot ping either machine from either machine.  The
symptoms that I am observing are: when I ping from the linux machine
to the BSD box, the light on the hub blinks.  However, when I
ping from the BSD box to the linux machine, the light on the hub does
not blink at all.  Also, when I try to add 192.168 as a net to the
BSD box's routing table, it adds 192.168.0.1 to the lo0 interface
automagically.  I don't know why.

Of course, thanks in advance for any and all help with this frustrating
little problem.

Anthony