Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:02:24 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>
Cc:        "Ted J. Stein" <tstein@seas.upenn.edu>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3com 3c589 woes w/ Dell (was: Dell Laptops and 3com CardBus Cards)

Brian wrote:

> Word from others is that cardbus will work if youre will to be a little
> bleeding edge and follow the -current distro.  otherwise, grab a 3com
> 3c589, which according to the freebsd hcl will work.  Other options
> include Redhat, which supports my 3com cardbus 3ccfe575bt.

I have a 3com 3c589, and it "mostly" works, but if I do a soft reboot
from FreeBSD without popping out the card, the computer freezes on
reboot, so there's still some problem with it.  (I'm using straight
4.2-RELEASE, no fancy stuff for me.)

However, as long as I remember to pop it out whenever I reboot, it's ok.

(Note that the lookup has to do with something the FreeBSD fails to do
on _shutdown_.  The lockup (which is a hard lockup--have to power down
to unwedge it) happens if FreeBSD shuts down and I start up FreeBSD *or*
Linux, and doesn't happen if I shutdown Linux and then start up FreeBSD.

It just happens if I don't power off the computer and/or pop out the
card, so I think it's failing to release something on the card itself.

"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                  Support decss defendents.
Support http://www.programming-freedom.org.  Boycott amazon.com.