Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:59:54 -0800
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License to kill annoying syslog feature?

> >I am very happy with the IRIX 5.3 syslog. It supports the syntax
> >
> >*.debug;kern.none;user.none     |/var/syslog/log-filter         /var/syslog/all
> >
> >which pipes all messages through /var/syslog/log-filter and this script
> >decides what to do with them. So I get my squid, socks, slip, etc. logs
> >all in different files and can for example ignore some messages with
> >the same level and priority depending on the process that sends them.
>
> Shouldn't we add better log filtering to syslogd instead?  Its function
> should be to accept messages, discard unnecessary ones, and log the required
> ones to the appropriate log files.  If it is not up to this task, and we
> add a shell filter escape, isn't that the same thing as saying that syslogd
> is bogus and useless?
>
> Add some new syntax supporting arbitrary regular expressions.  That should
> be enough for everyone.

I'd like to, once again, be a curmudgeon and disagree. I'd prefer
syslogd to just do _one thing_ well: reliably log the messages I
configure it to log. If I want them filtered, well, that's what
awk, sed, grep, perl, ..., the tools of a toolset-oriented system
are for.

Please don't build the electric coffee pot controller into the FPU.
(for the humor-impaired of us, me being one from time to time, that
means don't get creeping featurism). Keep it small and simple.

BTW, on a system that logs a reasonable amount of messages and
supports 4000+ users,

$ du -k -s /var/log
11348   /var/log

That's a weeks worth of compressed logs.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good