Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 21:08:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: vi edit mode unstable -termcap ?

davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent) wrote:

>Kim Culhan writes:
>> For example if I hit the down-arrow key a few times, after about
>> 3 or 4 arrow-down, it will begin to put 'B' into the editor.
>
>Yes, this is really VERY annoying. I have the same problem with
>any network connections, even across 10mb ethernet, which is just
>plain crazy. The workaround (and it IS only a workaround!) is to
>put set escapetime=10 into ~/.exrc.
>
>Could the maintainer of nvi PLEASE use a more reasonable default
>value for escapetime? This is problematic even editing in an xterm
>locally on a system running under a reasonable load.

I've had no problems with escapetime=5, but I agree the default should be
the good old 1 second (escapetime=10), and let optimists set escapetime=1.

I've also had no problems with hjkl, but the rest of you vi die-hards would
already know this. :-)

>This started with the recent vendor import of the new version
>of nvi. "split" disappeared too. :-(

Use ":E" instead.  ":split" could be made an alias of ":E" I suppose.

Has anyone looked for a more recent nvi alpha to see if Keith has already
done these things?

Stephen.