Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:33:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      owensc <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   orphaned proccess hogging CPU (e.g. pine)

Hi,
When users who telnet in to my FreeBSD server log of ungracefully (e.g.
by killing their local telnet program) they occasionally leave orphaned
process behind, despite the fact that I have -CLOCAL and HUPCL set when
they log in.  Is there any thing else I should do to keep this from
occurring?

Sometimes these orphaned process don't just hang around but spin their
wheels vigorously, chewing most available CPU time.  I had a problem with
this in the past with the talk program, but lately I've been seeing it
with the pine email front end.

Is this CPU-chewing a result of a programming boo-boo in Pine itself?  Or
is there something system-wide that I should tweak to fix this?  I don't
mind digging through the source but could use a pointer or two.

FYI, I'm running -stable dated March 16th.

Thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X