Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:53:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Tom Williams <tomw@ns2.interlinks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REbooting Problem

Tom Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a freebsd 2.2.2 machine that has a habbit of just rebooting itself,
> is there any way I can diagnose what may be doing this all it is running
> is apache 1.3.6, named 4.9.4, and an FTP server.  Any ideas?

Hi Tom,

I would go to the archives and do a search on "FIXED, PANIC & Re: [Q]
How stable is FreeBSD 3.X". There has been a sizable discussion on how
to find defective hardware. It started out as "How Stable..." and when
Quinlan found the defective Pentium, the email had the first subject.
Non-scheduled reboots are typically defective hardware.

I've deleted the thread from my mailer but it will be in the archive.
The problem is getting something that will cause it to fail. A
buildworld seems to be a favorite tool. It stresses everything. It
causes things to heat up in general. If it fails, you start with memory
and work down the list. I had a motherboard that would BW just fine but
do a couple of things with X and it would hang. A new modern MB got rid
of the problem.

Kent

> Thanks
> Tom Williams