Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:41:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory

I have a Compaq 486, with 24mb of ram.  The generic 2.2.8 kernel detects
16mb.  If I compile another kernel with

options         "MAXMEM=24576"

The machine detects 24mb of ram, and runs fine, until I nfs mount /usr/src
off of another machine, and try to compile another kernel.  It goes
through the make depend, and fails on vnode(the first cc line in make).
If I go back to the generic kernel, with 16mb of ram, compiling over nfs
works fine.

I can compile with 24mb of ram, locally only.

No other problems have shown up, but I fear they will, the machine mounts
a lot from other machines.

Kernel messages:
(generic kernel:)
real memory  = 16777216 (16384K bytes)
(with above option:)
real memory  = 25165824 (24576K bytes)

I suspect it may have to do with Compaq's reserving a few k of ram at the
top of conveintional memory.

Mike