Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:46:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Anna Davour <akesson@tsl.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound on Compaq Presario (and kernel question)

Trying to get the sound to work on my Compaq Presario M2000. With version=
=20
5.4 everything worked fine except sound and ACPI. After looking at=20
http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ I had the impression that I could get=20
the sound to work by applying the provided patch, but that it should work=
=20
without extra tricks if I upgraded to version 6 of the kernel. Well, I=20
didn't succeed with the patch, but since I didn't think sound so importan=
t=20
I let it be for the moment.

Later I decided to upgrade anyway, and now I return to the sound problem.

Now uname -a gives:

FreeBSD possession 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Mar  9=20
20:27:08 CET 2006     granntyckt@possession:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL2=20
i386

Here I must ask what PRERELEASE actually means. It's not in the handbook=20
as far as I can see.

This is the message I get when starting KDE, unchanged since before the=20
kernel upgrade:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

When I do kldload snd_driver the following message appears on the console=
:

pcm0: <ATI IXP 400> mem 0xc0003400-0xc00034ff irq 17 at device 20.5 on pc=
i0
pcm0: WARNING: timeout during codec detection; codecs might be present bu=
t=20
haven't interrupted

What does this mean? It seems to find the right module, but it still=20
doesn't work and I don't understand the message. Now, according to=20
instructions I also run the following:

possession# pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 audio
     subclass =3D PCI-PCI
pcm0@pci0:20:5: class=3D0x040100 card=3D0x3091103c chip=3D0x43701002 rev=3D=
0x02=20
hdr=3D0x00
     vendor   =3D 'ATI Technologies Inc'
     class    =3D multimedia
     subclass =3D audio
possession# sysctl hw.snd.verbose=3D2
hw.snd.verbose: 1 -> 2
possession# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
possession# sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.verbose: 2
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 0
hw.snd.unit: 0
possession# /usr/sbin/mixer
mixer: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory

And by the way I got another problem as well. After upgrading the kernel =
I=20
had a strange crash where the screen turned white (actually grey with som=
e=20
vague patterns) and I could do nothing except turning off the power. Coul=
d=20
not contact the computer from outside, it was really dead. It only=20
happened once, but I would like to know why -- or if anyone else has seen=
=20
a similar behaviour.

Lots of questionmarks here. I will greatly appreciate to get some of them=
=20
straightened out.

/wokka
--=20
Doktorand, Institutionen f=F6r k=E4rn- och partikelfysik
Uppsala universitet
http://www3.tsl.uu.se/~akesson/