Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 00:01:13 +0100
From:      rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XDrawString

At 10:41 am 3/10/96, Terry Lambert wrote:
>[earlier stuff removed]
>I guess it depends on whether you think that the most likely event
>will be:
>
>1)      Tiny bit of what is drawn is off screen
>
>2)      Most of what is drawn is off screen
>
>Case (1) would make you want to take the hit of drawing a small amount
>of non-visible objects that get clipped by the server as a trade for
>putting a clip region comparison in the inner loop.
>
>Case (2) would make you want to take the hit of putting a clip region
>comparison in the inner loop as a trade for draw a large amount of
>non-visible objects that get clipped by the server.
>
>I would think it would depend on whether you expected the programmer
>using the system to be careful (case 1) or sloppy (case 2).

Hm. Not sure I agree with that assessment. Your average X hack knows that
the server is going to clip, so "being careful" is a having a dog and
barking yourself situation.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK