Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:11:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-users@geeks.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Enabling threaded PERL without losing it in `make world'

I want to enable PERL 5's thread support (yes, I know this is
experimental), but I'm having trouble figuring out what to change to
enable it and how to ensure that my change is preserved, or at least
quickly recoverable, next time I do a `make world.'  I considered making a
separate PERL installation for this, but I don't really fancy tinkering
with the shared-library structure of the PERL compiled with FreeBSD.

I am running 3.4-STABLE on a Pentium with 72 meg of memory and two IDE
drives (4G and 10G).  If anyone has tried PERL threads and found serious
problems, particularly on a similar system, please let me know.  I am
assuming that adding thread support won't break existing stuff even if it
doesn't make my own thread-ready code work properly.

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com