Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:10:28 -0700
From:      "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I'm almost afraid to ask, but....

It's time for us to upgrade and buy a new Internet server; primarily
running Aache and probably mSQL. Our present server is based on FreeBSD
2.1R, and I've been very happy with it (thank-you FreeBSD team!).
Unfortunately, I'm getting questions from my colleagues re. the use of
other systems (i.e. Sun Netra, Sun SPARC5, SGI WebForce Indy, etc). The
feeling is that because we are not paying (through the nose, I might add),
we are not getting quality, fast systems. I would like to get some hard
evidence to support my arguments to continue using FreeBSD.

Does anyone know of any performance benchmarks comparing FreeBSD vs. Sun,
etc?
Any other solid technical reasons why FreeBSD is superior (particulary with
respect to Sun Netra)?

Please, I am not looking for flames against any other systems, just some
solid evidence to support my reccomendations. Apparently it is not enough
that our system has been running quite happily for some time now.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Jensen
Habanero Studios Ltd.
Vancouver, Canada