Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 22:25:58 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1028: shutdown -r does not seem to always complete

>Number:         1028
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       shutdown -r does not seem to always complete
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	-current as of 8th january (kernel compile date, probably close to
	sup date).

: System going down in 30 seconds
:
: En saa scratchia n{kym{{n boottaamatta, eli lyhyt katko newzetorissa.  Cantinaa
:  ja zetoriin on jo mountattu
: laitan mailiin lis{{ infoa.
:
:
: *** FINAL System shutdown message from hsu@newzetor.clinet.fi ***
: System going down IMMEDIATELY
:
: En saa scratchia n{kym{{n boottaamatta, eli lyhyt katko newzetorissa.  Cantinaa
:  ja zetoriin on jo mountattu
: laitan mailiin lis{{ infoa.
: ...
: hsu#newzetor.clinet.fi Wed 11: ps axuwl | egrep '(PID|shutdown)'
: USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED       TIME COMMAND            UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
: root      8448  0.0  0.3   324  152  p1  I<    7:04PM    0:00.04 shutdown -r +15      0  8448     1 255   4 -20   324  152 ttywri I<    p1    0:00.04 shutdown -r +15
: hsu#newzetor.clinet.fi Wed 12: head -1 /etc/motd
: FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT (CLINETSERVER) #7: Mon Jan  8 04:58:16 EET 1996
: hsu#newzetor.clinet.fi Wed 13: date
: Wed Feb 14 22:21:19 EET 1996
: hsu#newzetor.clinet.fi Wed 14:

As root I told the machine to reboot.  After three hours, it was still
happily running.  Probably tries to print out a message to someone?

>How-To-Repeat:

	I don't know exactly, it happens sometimes.  There are lots of users (~50) in this
	machine, running anything they can imagine of.