Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:34:28 -0400
From:      Charles Peterman <cjp@sandstorm.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DVD-RAM: multi-session writing

FreeBSD 4.5.
Hitachi DVD-RAM drive

I have to support writing files to a DVD-RAM in a Windows compatible mode=
=2E
Normally I would treat the thing as a slow HD and read and write at my=20
leisure, but Windows does not play nicely with UFS.  So I came upon the=20
solution of writing an ISO image out to the disk, like so:

readcd dev=3D$DVDRAM_SCSI_ID -w f=3Dimage.iso.

Now this works and is portable, but it has an unfortunate side effect. If=
 I=20
attempt to write another image out, I overwrite the existing data. =20

So, there are three possible solutions:

1. Move to UDF, (works for me, but management is scared of anything label=
led a=20
"kernel change")
2. Figure out some way to get the first sector after the last ISO from th=
e=20
disk, and start writing the new data there.  (I checked camtools and read=
cd=20
and came up with nothing.)
3. Make a new ISO with all of the old and the new data, write that out to=
=20
disk. (A bit resource intense, but it should work.)

The question for you is whether I was thorough enough evaluating method 2=
=2E  Is=20
there some way to find out the last sector used on a SCSI device from the=
=20
command line?  If not, is there some way to roll my own?

Thx,

Charles