Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 18:27:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Urban" <mds@usa.nai.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting up an SMTP host on FreeBSD

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Michael A. Urban wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up an SMTP host on a
> FreeBSD box?  I need to have it forward outgoing mail to my ISP.

FreeBSD comes pre-wired for SMTP.  It should work regardless. Just make
sure you call your ISP once every 4 days and run this command:

sendmail -q

That will clear the mail queue out.  You'll probably get warnings every
four hours that your mail couldn't be sent, but you can ignore those.

I did this all over the summer and had no problems sending mail.  I
receive mail on another host and used Pine & IMAP to read it.