Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:11:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Sims <freebsd@esims.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/63721: VT6103 NIC broken since 5.2

>Number:         63721
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       VT6103 NIC broken since 5.2
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Prior to 5.2 the vr0 correctly worked with the VT6103 chipset. I have been running several boxes for over a year and a half. I loaded 5.2 and 5.2.1 and the result was the same:

The nic is seen and assigned vr0, but on boot get watchdog timeout error repeatedly. Nic IP can be pinged, but nothing beyond NIC.

I can reload 5.1 or 4.X and the NIC works fine. Although the hardware is NOT listed on the supported hardware list, the fact that it used to work, but now does not may be of interest.

I have several machines and am willing to spend time testing/reporting on this if anyone wants to investigate the problem.

I will be happy to allow someone remote access to a clean system for testing purposes as long as it is scheduled in advance.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install FreeBSD 5.2 or later on system with Shuttle MV43N motherboard.
>Fix:
Revert to 5.1 is the only workaround I have been able to find.