Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:48:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jmb@hub.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        housley@frenchknot.ne.mediaone.net, noor@NetVision.net.il, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw behavior, is it normal?

> > should we add another instruction to ipfw
> >
> > 	<action> <proto> between A and B ...
> >
> > to ease life in configuring firewalls ? Performance of a ruleset
> > will be only marginally improved, but having simpler rules will
> > indirectly make configurations more secure by reducing mistakes.
>
>   i understand between to be a short cut that replaces "from A to B"
>   and "from B to A".

functionally, yes. but it would map (and you would see) only a single
ipfw rule.

>   i prefer the present syntax, it allows me to control who originates
>   the connection.

"add" does not mean "replace"! the old syntax would still be valid.

>   seems to me that the new syntax would not be used very frequently.
>   most of my rules (27 of 30) have "any" as one endpoint.  dont think
>   that i want to use a "between" in cominbation with "any".

i guess this is just a matter of preference (or use!). eg you (?)
said to use

	accept tcp from any to any estab

as a catchall for the reverse path, (possibly because you want to allow
connection opens only from within your net ?) whereas i more
frequently use bridge-based firewalls to control some internal labs
and paths are much more symmetric.

>   seems to me that its better to have people understand what they are
>   configuratin rather than make the configuration syntax hide the
>   asymmetric nature of tcp.

it just makes life easier to the average user.

	cheers
	luigi