Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:39:49 -0400
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        "Bob Foster" <bfoster@super-highway.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: login @ password

At 9:29 AM -0500 10/9/96, Bob Foster wrote:
>Hi,
>   Last night I installed freebsd via ftp site. I have it booting up ok and
>all but I have one slight problem. After several hours of scanning doc's
>and stuff I can't seem to get a new user login or administrator login .
>After a new install what login name and password do you use . Thanks,
>                   bfoster@super-highway.net

Login as "root".  Unless you set the password in the install process, you
shouldn't need to enter one.

Once you've logged in as root, use /usr/bin/passwd to set root's password.
Then use /usr/sbin/adduser to create user logins.  (Including one for
yourself that you should put in group "wheel" so you can su to root rather
than logging in as root on the console.)

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan                    mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation                      http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator                     +1.914.271.4500 |