Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:53:08 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Thomas Stratmann <thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: Weird mouse click/drag behaviour

In message <3A828D95.E12D4628@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Thomas Stratmann writes:
>The symptom is as such: When I click and immediately move wildly no
>click is assumed, but when I then stop the movement before releasing
>button 1 then a click is assumed at the new position.

I've seen this behaviour too when using middle-button emulation.
I think it first appeared when moused was changed to use a simple
state machine for 3-button emulation, which was in revision 1.41
of src/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c.

Before moused's behaviour was changed, getting the emulated middle
button to work was sometimes tricky - you had to press the two
buttons almost exactly at the same time. After the change, much
slower two-button events were detected, but I found that 2-button
mice were almost unusable within X. If I pressed the left mouse
button while on a title bar, for example, and then immediately
started moving the mouse, a few hundred ms worth of move events
would arrive before the button-down event. I just switched to a
3-button mouse...

You can probably verify that it is moused that is at fault by
temporarily getting X to talk directly to /dev/psm0, protocol PS/2,
with 3-button emulation enabled (turn off moused first).

Ian