Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:02:23 -0700
From:      Jason <nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmz@FreeBSD.org, br@netland.inka.de
Subject:   cannot get latex to work (HELP QUICKLY, PLEASE)

I have some documents in LaTeX and I cannot get LaTeX to work  (I tried
both installations, latex and tetex).  I have never had this problem.
I know it is something that I am doing and have searched the mailing lists,
but I can't seem to figure it out.  Can anybody please help (I have a
deadline to meet)?  By the way, I am trying to send this to freebsd-ports,
the latex maintainer, and the tetex maintainer (FYI, I just submitted a bug
report on tetex, too, since libwww has changed).

When I run latex, this is what happens:

c:\ajloss> make
	latex ajloss.latex
	This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
	(ajloss.latex
	LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
	Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, n
	ohyphenation, loaded.
	No file ajloss.aux.

	! LaTeX Error: The font size command \normalsize is not defined:
	               there is probably something wrong with the class file.

	Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

	l.1 \begin{document}

	? q
	OK, entering \batchmode*** Error code 1

	Stop in /home/nordwick/ajloss.

Yes, I did run 'texconfig', but I don't see what it did.

Thank You
Jason