Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:28:36 -0700
From:      "K.C. Komosky" <kc@mb.sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems in installing from DOS partition

I hope that this is the appropriate forum for this, and that the readers
of this group can help me out.

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5 on my home PC. Since my CD-ROM is an
Atapi-IDE type, I decided against ordering the CD and started downloading
from the ftp.freebsd.org site onto my DOS partition. I intend FreeBSD to
be in a second partition right after the initial DOS one.

Everything seems to go along fine, but I get an error message:

        Unable to transfer the bin distribution from wd0s1

I select try again. It moves along (skipping the bin distribution), and
then I get

        Unable to transfer the doc distribution from wd0s1

Again I select try again, and then get this error message

        Write failure on transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes)

Then the usual Unable to transfer the manpages distribution...

This continues on for a couple of more attempts (it now skipped back to
attempting the bin distribution), then I get the ominous sounding

        anic: bad dir
        syncing disks...  19 19 18 7 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 giving up
        automatic reboot in 15 seconds

This is a novice install, with the X-User package.

Now what am I doing wrong? The distribution files are in the
c:\freebsd\bin folder, and in the other appropriate areas, as detailed in
the FreeBSD handbook. I downloaded all of the files for the ftp
directory /pub/freebsd/2.1.5-release/bin, and the other directories. I've
read through the chapter on installation
several times, but I couldn't find anything to help me here.

My computer particulars (those that I know)

Pentium 75 MHz, TS54P AIO Motherboard (Intel Triton chipset), 16 megs
RAM, Fujitsu M1606TA ATA interface hard drive (1089MB)

I have a pre-existing 447MB Primary MS-DOS 6.22 partition (altered to
that size by fips.exe utility from freebsd site), and am trying to
install on a 248 FreeBSD partition. The rest of the disk is empty,
reserved for an eventual installation of Windows NT Workstation
(unfortunately held up in shipping, now 31 days and counting... :-( ). I
also installed the boot manager that came with FreeBSD.

I tried to right down as many excruciatingly boring details as possible
to aid in any diagnosis, but if I'm missing any I will quickly provide
them.

Jeesh! I knew I would have problems installing this, but I figured I
would get a _little_ further than this!

Thanks for any and all help. You can reach me by private e-mail, or via
this mail list (to which I've just subscribed).

K.C. Komosky
kc@mb.sympatico.ca      umkomosk@cc.umanitoba.ca
Mineralogist, Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting, Flin Flon, MB, CANADA
Director, Reform Party of Canada, Churchill Constituency Association