Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 12:48:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tao.thought.org (Gary D. Kline)
To:        clad@oz.net (Dan mackey)
Cc:        Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP

According to Dan mackey:

> I recently installed Freebsd 2.1 and have been tryint to get ppp
> working for the last week. I followed all the instructions in the
> freebsd handbook under uppp and am still haveing problems. I can get it
> to dial and login ok but when i try to ping ftp or use anyother program
> it ether sits there for 5 minutes and times out or says host lookup
> failer. Can anyone help ?

	After several hours of having similar problems, I
	found that in my case, the ``ifconfig MY_IP REMOTE_IP''
	had the wrong `REMOTE_IP'.   (I was connecting to the
	Portmaster at work rather than the machine that I
	needed to be hooked up with, `tera.com', and after I
	changed IP's, ppp began to work.

	Also note that you must have correct entries in your
	/etc/hosts file.

	Let me know if this helps.

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public access uNix