Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:11:18 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        GDB <g-d-b@freegates.be>, Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: e-mail: howto?

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 09:31:20PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 07:52:28PM +0200, GDB wrote:
> > I added the DS line. I installed cucipop. Then I started netscape. I noticed
> > I can specify a POP and
> > SMTP server in Netscape. I am wondering if it was really necessary to
> > install cucipop.
> > What do you think?
>
> Dunno, I've never used cucipop (don't even know what it does) But,
> if you are using Netscape I don't think you need anything else except
> sendmail, but I'm not even sure you need that.

Actually, you don't.  Netscape can gather all the outgoing mail, and
send them all in one step the next time you are 'connected' to the
Internet.

However, I still prefer setting up my own smtp server with sendmail
and be allowed to switch between mail-user agents, like Pine, Mutt,
Netscape, or whatever.  It's not as easy as pushing a few buttons in
Netscape, but it makes me feel safer that my mail will be queued in a
real MTA's queue and not a certain client's queue where they might
stay undelivered until I use that specific client again.

On the other hand, I'm probably just being paranoid.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
For my public pgp2 key: finger -l keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr