Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 02:12:40 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Can I rescue this 2940UW?

I've been given a "dead" 2940UW.  In this case "dead" means that someone
flashed the wrong bios on it, and it no longer works in Windoze.  I've
confirmed that Windoze locks solid if this card is present.

But... it looks at least half alive.  It is seen as a PCI device by the
BIOS, it announces itself (claiming to be bios v1.34.3 if that helps), and
the ^A setup thingy works.  But after that it says "Host Adapter Configuration
Error" and doesn't probe any devices or attach its bit of BIOS.

FreeBSD 3.2-R recognises the card (aic7880) and probes all the devices.  It
even gets all the speeds and stuff right.  Sadly, it doesn't fully work.

When I try to access data I get a panic: sequencer parity error.

So, do I have any chance?  Would it help to get more precise error messages?
By the way, it has a sticker on it: AHA-2940UW/GATEWAY

Stephen.