Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 20:29:30 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Peihan Wang <peihanw@mx.cei.gov.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Economic Mode on a HP LaserJet 6L Printer

In the last episode (May 30), Peihan Wang said:
> I have got a new HP LaserJet 6L printer(not a PostScript but a PCL
> one) and set it up to work fine under FreeBSD.
>
> But under MS Windows, the driver provide an "economic" mode which
> makes the output not so black. It is useful for draft copies.
>
> I want to know if there is a counterpart of this economic mode under
> FreeBSD and how to config it.

I did a quick search on www.hp.com, and it looks like

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl01965.html

lists a PJL code that will set EconoMode, which tells the printer to
print letters with less toner (sort of a medium-gray).   Beware that HP
does not recommend that you run your printer in EconoMode all the time
though:

   CAUTION: HP does not recommend full-time use of EconoMode. (If
   EconoMode is used full-time, it is possible that the toner supply
   will outlast the mechanical parts in the toner cartridge.)

I don't know if this means that your toner cartridge could jam in your
machine, or if it simply means that you won't be able to rely on the
"LOW TONER" message to know when to replace the cartridge.

> Since I did not subscribe this mailing-list, please reply
> to both the list and me.

(this is standard procedure for this list)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com