Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:25:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Allan Dib <dib.allan.l@edumail.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote MTA

Allan Dib <dib.allan.l@edumail.vic.gov.au> types:
> Does anyone know how to configure FreeBSD to use a MTA on a remote box.
> i.e I want to use another SMTP server (either another box at my site or
> my ISPs) and not sacrifice functionality by losing use of the "mail"
> command or the daily "Charlie Root" reports. I don't think it should be
> necessary to run sendmail on every FreeBSD box at our site...surely?

No - you could use qmail or postfix.

More seriously, what should all those automated scripts do when they
are run and the SMTP server on the remote machine isn't reachable? If
the process just hangs until that SMTP server comes up, you could wind
up with a delayed chain reaction as other systems ran out of resources
waiting on the server. They could just throw the messages away, but if
that's acceptable, you might as well do that to begin with. The last
option is to queue the messages to disk and retry later - which is
part of the job that sendmail (or qmail, or postfix) handles.

You can configure your chosen MTA as a "dumb" server that just blindly
forwards everything it gets to the "smart" server. You should also be
able to configure thing so you don't have to have an SMTP listener on
the "dumb" systems. Once you set one up, you can just clone that to
all the others.

There may be a port designed to handle this case. The qmail docs also
talked about it, and about using qmtp instead of smtp for mail deliver
for better performance.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.