Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:28:25 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Color ls

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 05:31:47PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> Yes.  Any program that expects colour to work.

In what sense?  The color codes are absorbed by xterm and it
looks like it probably does without doing color stuff.  Do you
know of a program which actually has problems?

> The correct fix here is to tell your xterms to identify themselves as
> xterm-color.  This will then proceed to break anyone that wants to use an
> xtern to talk to a system that doesn't know what xterm-color is.

Yeah.  Believe it or not, I log in to lots of random Suns and don't
like having to reset TERM.

> The more correct fix here is to stop worrying about fucking colourised ls
> output and focus on the seventeen dozen more important things that need
> your angst.

I don't like colorized ls.  I do like colorized mutt.  But thanks
for telling me what I should care about.  Tell me what my proposed
solution breaks, for real.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * UNIX is a lever for the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * intellect. -J.R. Mashey