Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:33:15 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SimpleTech USB HDD driver

Scott Mitchell wrote:

>This is fine - just an informational message rather than anything
>actually wrong.

Out of curiosity, what does that indicate (or where can I find comments
in the source)?

>Indeed... the docs should probably just list the classes of device that
>should work, rather than specific instances.  I did once start updating
>the umass(4) manpage to say this, but got discouraged by a flurry of
>list messages complaining that XYZ device didn't work - didn't feel up
>to documenting the intricacies of the quirking mechanism.  Now that this
>is less of a problem, I should probably pick that up again.
>
>Anyway, glad you got it working.

Yes, I also got an email from the product manager of the SimpleDrive
asking me what sort of documentation I was looking for. This seems like
an open-source friendly company; just so that we can keep this in mind
in case there are portable storage device/hard drive issues in the
future. It looks like Firewire is also taken care of, but you never know
what else there might be in the future.

--Devon