Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:38:02 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP install from CD does not work.. Does Now

Hi Again

> > However, when I try and do an ftp install from another new machine it
> > successfully logs in and downloads the floppies/root.flp file but
> > then looks for bin/* files whuch are not there.
> >
> > On the cd they are under dists/bin/* and etc.

Well, I did as suggested to do a lndir to put all the directories in
the right place and then tried again.

No joy, as of course anon ftp does a chroot to /usr/ftp and then
/cdrom no longer exists.

Ho hum. Tell install to use my name and password, but it does not
appear to work. Is it supposed to? I wasted lots of time juggling
things around before I realized this, then went back to anon FTP
after having mounted the cd on /usr/pub/cdrom and done a lndir
../../../cdrom/dists . and voila! everything worked.

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

     Technical Support
     Professional Computer Manufacturers
     Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089