Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:21:57 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

> >You dont need to run the drive in LBA mode to coexist with DOS or whatever.
> >Also you dont need to run the drive in LBA mode to use >8G, infact using
> >LBA has nothing to do with >8G support. >8G support has something to do
> >with us probing the drive correctly and using it that way.
>
> I know I don't need to run the drive in LBA mode, and that LBA has nothing
> to do with >8G support. I *have* written an IDE driver before, you know.
>
> What I fail to recall, is whether harddrives that are already LBA formatted
> will lose their data if accessed in CHS mode? Otoh, I suppose we've got
> code to make sure we follow the 'right' layout anyhow..

Your second paragraph contradicts the first, as if you had "written an
IDE driver before", you would know that "LBA formatted" doesn't mean
anything, and that LBA and CHS are just two ways of feeding the same
numbers to the disk.

You'd also know that reading a disk won't cause it to "lose" its data.