Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:16:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        Kevin Sheehan <kevin@planb.net.au>
Cc:        "newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: vi & word documents

> >up with yet--the power in vi is intuitively obvious.
>
> Sorry, but I couldn't help but notice the Viewpoint / Globalview ref.
It would be closer to the truth to say Xerox gave it away than had it
stolen wouldn't it?

Yes and no. They gave it away in the sense they didn't know what to _do_
with it, but they did try to protect themselves: The first lawsuit against
the Mac folk they won by an out of court settlement for "an undisclosed
sum." The second, jointly against $ms & ibm resulted in a ruling that it
was now "in the public domain".

> Do you still use it?  It's a pitty MS and others didn't take more from
it...  makes me wish I still had a 6085 :-)

Make me an offer :)

The 6085 is in perfect working order save the 4045 thinks its
out of paper and Xerox wants their normal fortune to tell it otherwise.
Three of the main boards are practically new. ($150-$300, _not_ $3000)
I've also got
GVWin on CD, the ultimate surrender. (if there was ever a disgusting turn
of events--that was it.) But, it loads up and runs fine as long as one
knows the documentation contains roughly half of what's necessary and
is accustomed to loading up Viewpoint.

Send me a box of some kind with windows on it, and I'll load it up
and send it back will all options but that "professional" drawing
whatever its called.

> ... I'll let you get back to the vi discussion....

Starting to like this one better. Haven't met someone who knows what
a 6085 is for a _long_ time. And a little bit of computer development
history never hurt anybody.

ML Duke