Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 08:03:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pmcgarvey@vianetworks.co.uk
Cc:        Peter Christie <christie@idsi.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup

Peter McGarvey wrote:

> * Peter Christie [Monday 05 August 2002 13:41 pm]
>
>> hey there ~
>>
>> I tried CVSup'ing for the first time the other night and filled up my
>>/usr slice, guess I don't have the room for all the source code . . .
>>this was a binary only 4.2 installation
>>

> Hmm, slice/partition naming problems.
>
> A slice is what MS calles a partition
> A partition is what you've called a slice
>
> But this always confuses me so don't worry about it.
>

>> I don't think anything actually got updated (how can I tell for sure?)
>>but I'd like to delete all the source so as to go back to whence I came,
>>can I just delete everything under /usr/src ?
>>

> Indeed, deleting  /usr/src is not going to break a thing.

I have /usr/src and /usr/obj as mount points on 2 different HDs. It is
really simple to create a slice on a different HD and make part of it
a partition for the source or the object files. I assigned each of
them 1.5GB because the drives were on the order of 30GB and I wanted
to error on the side of being generous.

The fast systems (AMD 1600+ XXPs) are multiboot with MS XP or W2K.
Locating /usr/src and /usr/obj on different HDs from the rest of the
system improves the speed of buildworlds. I used the mount points so
that I could NFS mount them with the same names and not have path
problems with make. I also have systems where /usr/src is linked to
/usr2/src or /usr/obj is linked to /usr2/obj. Make knows what the real
PWD is and keeps track of it instead of the link.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA