Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:36:53 -0400
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best SMTP Gateway Program and Reporting Tools

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Robby Balona wrote:

> John Almberg wrote:
>> On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Josh Kidd wrote:
>>
>>> I just wanted to pose this question to the list on people's
>>> opinions as
>>> to what the best SMTP Gateway program (ie. Sendmail, Postfix,
>>> etc) is
>>> and what the best log analysis tool for that SMTP program is.
>>
>> I use qmail. Its touted to be very secure, which was my #1 goal.
>> Proving that is above my pay grade, but I can say I have had no
>> problems, which is a big improvement over my last server which ran
>> Linux and sendmail.
>>
>> It also logs a lot of information about what it's doing, and has a
>> bunch of command line tools to help you analyze it.
>>
>> -- John

> I love qmail also.. but didn't do well under heavy smtp load in my
> environment. I put qmail +vpopmail + qmailadmin +clamav+dovecot
> +spamassasin + assap +squirrelmail together.

I have a similar setup, but do black-list filtering with PF that
eliminates tons of spam at the packet level. I know this probably
wouldn't work for some servers... if you need to get email from North
Korea, for instance. But my clients (small US businesses, mainly)
don't. The difference in server load is significant.

-- John