Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 18:34:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Tracy E. Phillips" <tphilips@cedar.netten.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 3.2 with new install

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Tracy E. Phillips wrote:

> i have just downloaded 2.2 Alpha and tried to install XFree86 3.2. I
> answered the questions that were asked about witch packages to install
> and fonts, but when everything was installed i tried to configure X, but
> the script told me that X was not installed. How can i install X?

If you installed from ftp3, then X is not on it.  Re-run sysinstall,
select custom, MOUNT your filesystems instead of NEWFSing them, and select
the X components you want.  Install from ftp.freebsd.org.  When you're
done, run xf86config to set it all up.

The mirrors appear to be missing the X distribution for some reason.