Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian McGroarty <bvmcg@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default gnome configuration

The package description of Enlightenment is a bit condescending:

	A very artistic X window manager. Among other
	attributes, Enlightenment makes for qutie impressive
	screen shots.

This trivializes the marked advances it offers, and the
combination of the terrible default installation and the above
has doubtless put many off of Gnome/Englightenment

As in so many other areas, RedHat wins hands down over FreeBSD
in an area where it really makes little sense to do so.

--- Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com> wrote:
>  	I just this weekend put together 2 boxes for work. One was a
> FreeBSD
> 	3.2-STABLE machine, and one was a RedHat 6.0 machine. Why 2
> you ask?
> 	Let's just say that the windozze support people at work have
> discovered
> 	that there _might_ be something else ut there, and i wnated
> them to see
> 	both Linux, _and_ FreeBSD.
>
> 	But I digress. Here is what I find stange the RedHat box by
> default has
> 	a very nice gnome environemnt (assuming you like GUI tools).
> The
> 	FreeBSD machine had a pretty strange default gnome seup, even
> using
> 	afterstep, instead of Enlightenment as the default window
> manager. I
> 	was particulary suprised at this, given that the new 3.2
> install
> 	program even offers you the choice of gnom as a default
> destop. Now I
> 	grant you if you _don't_ choose this you get a different
> window
> 	manager. Still it seems we may be missing the boat here for
> 	desktop/client machines. I believe that the gnome (or KDE)
> environment
> 	will be an important part of wining the desktop back.
>
> 	So, could we perahps build a little nicer set of defaults for
> gnome?

===