Date:      Sun, 09 Aug 1998 14:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Geoff Ludwiczak <ludwicza@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot time

Rebuilding your kernel will do the trick.  The problem exists with the
defaul disks that are placed off of your secondary IDE controller.  If you
don't have any disks off of it, remove them from the kernel config and
rebuild.  By saying IDE disks exist when they don't, FreeBSD tries to
probe for them, and the timeout is pretty long.  Only include the disks
(cdroms) that you have attached to your controllers.

Joe Clarke