Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:41:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible bug in kernel w/pppoe & ipf ?

Previously smacked into the keyboard

> I don't know if this is your problem or not, but....
>
> I use IPFW so this may not be the same as ipf, it may also not exist any
> more for IPFW either.  But I have 1 machine connected vie a cable modem
> and dhclient.  I have another machine connected via DSL and PPPoE and
> dhclient.  Both of these machines had to, might not be true any more but
> one is in a different country and don't want to mess with it, configure
> the kernel to IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT to ensure the dhclient could
> connect on boot.  After that I load a more restrictive firewall.  But my
> basic problem was that during boot, dhclient was being run before the
> firewall rules were being loaded.  Again, I don't know if this is still
> the case.
>
> Jim

It was pulling an IP address for my DSL provider even with ipf commented
out in the rc.conf I would still have issues of "no route to host"  From
my reading into IPF and playing with it before the pppoe I was still able
to talk to local interfaces. when I originally made up my ruleset I
started out with "Block all" and went from there and those early days I
was able to talk to local hosts from the local machine.  This was back in
June when I first got my cable modem

 --
Rob Zietlow
Network Security Engineer