Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:20:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Screen flickering

> > Essentially, the syscons screen "flickers" probably every couple of
> > seconds on average, and only with "vidcontrol -c destructive".  From
> > what I can figure, the "while (!(inb(crtc_addr+6)&8)) ;" bit in
> > syscons.c doesn't work as expected (although removing it makes
> > things a *lot* worse)....
>
> 	Got the same thing, except it's when I move the mouse on
> 	the console. Config is:
>
> 	2.2-Beta
> 	Acer 950C P75 / 24 Mb, 800x600 DSTN -- Chips & Tech 65545
>
> 	The screen flickers when I move the mouse in console mode
> 	(Moused).

This comes from writing non-VRAM (dual ported) card RAM with pixel
values at a time when the raster beam is active, instead of waiting
for vertical retrace.

The typical fix is to queue draw requests to a queue, and then drive
the queue off of IRQ 2, which you dedicate to the video cards vertical
retrace interrupt.

Alternately, you can buy a modern video card, since it will have VRAM,
and writing while the raster is reading won't cause a problem.  8-).

> 	Just for the record, this machine's PCCARD  only started working when
> 	I applied the patches for  PS/2 Keyboard !!

You need to specifically bug-report this; if it is repeatable elsewhere,
it's a bad thing.  8-(.

> 	And then, moused won't work with the PS/2 mouse - only with
> 	serial mice.

Look at the device node... I suspect you have created the wrong type
(non-blocking vs. blocking).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org