Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:48:09 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Squid configuration

Hal Snyder wrote:

> Gary Chrysler wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where I may find further info on setting up
> > squid for proxying on 2.1.5.
>
> See
>   http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/
> and
>   http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/Configuration
> the latter of which has live config files.

Thanks, I'll check em out.

> Configure your web bowser to proxy HTTP and FTP to the squid server,
> port 3128.  Start with a generic one like Netscape or MS Internet Exploder.

Been there, Done that.. :)

> > My goals are to proxy the rest of my LAN to the Internet via
> > FreeBSD/Squid.
>
> Yep, doing it here.

Yep, I know it's possiable.. :) Been reading about for weeks and
weeks.. Even been keeping revelant messages!

> Specific questions will help us help you.

Yup, I really don't have any definat Q's at this time, Squid just
dosn't run, I'm sure it has to do with it's .conf.. :)

I am about ready to go rip my hair out on it some more and was
looking for input from those that have already pulled thier hair
out on it, I have very little to waste.. :)

> I use squid.  Squid is better.  Use squid.  :)

See what I mean.. :)

> I went ahead and pinged the NLANR caches (see URL above) and registered
> for the two best ones.  Make sure you can get UDP traffic to and from
> port 3130 past your firewall if you plan to use external cache servers.

Those are the wings a flappin as that flew over my head.. :(
But I belive I will understand while looking.

Thanks for your reply.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848