Date:      Wed, 20 May 2009 00:01:37 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        francis keyes <fkeymo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling FreeBSD date on Linux

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:19:21 -0300, francis keyes <fkeymo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to compile the FreeBSD date command for use on Linux because
> the FreeBSD version has some features that are not present in Linux.
> I downloaded all the files from
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/bin/date/ and tried to compile it
> but I get an error from the Makefile:
> Makefile:9: *** missing separator.  Stop.

First of all, it seems that it's not that easy. FreeBSD's make
is, if I am correct, a different one than the Linux make. It
uses - if you look into date's Makefile, an include file,
named bsd.prog.mk which is located outside of the date/ directory,
this is /usr/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk or /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk
or /usr/src/tools/build/mk/bsd.prog.mk. You could try to write
an own Makefile on Linux, or try to work without one...

> I suspect this is the first of many errors I will run into during this
> process.  Can anyone help me out with this or tell me if there is an easier
> way to get this version of the date command running in Linux?

I'm not sure, but it's possible that FreeBSD can be used to
compile date so it will run on Linux (cross-compier). Because
I never tried this, I can't tell you how to achieve this.

Furthermore, I'm not sure in how far date hooks into the FreeBSD
kernel in order to work. It's completely possible that it would
be easier to implement FreeBSD's date functionality in Linux's
date command itself ("from scratch").

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany