Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:51:05 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.2

How should I install XFree86 4.0.2 on a system running a -current snapshot
from January 20?  I tried downloading the binaries from xfree86.org, but
Xinstall.sh complained that my extract file was bad (it wasn't), and when I
ran 'sh Xinstall.sh -check' it told me that "binaries are not available for
this version" of FreeBSD, namely 5.x, despite the fact that I downloaded
the binaries from a directory labeled "FreeBSD 5.x".  So I tried the ports,
and it built fine for a long time, and then after about 35300 lines of
output to the screen, ran into

make: don't know how to make ../../../fonts/encodings/encodings.dir. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/work/xc/fonts/bdf.

This system is a fresh install, except for a custom kernel and some rc.conf
changes.  Any suggestions other than waiting until cardbus support
_finally_ gets in to -stable so I can stop trying to run -current?  Thanks,

-David