Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:41:22 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Named goes wobbly after a while

Hi All

Well, I think I have fixed things by doing the following:

Put the list of root name servers from FTP.RS.INTERNIC.NET:/domain/named.root
where it ought to be.

Edited db.soa to refer to the right machine instead of a nonexistant
machine.

Thanks all for the help.

> > Hi John
> >
> > > This is the file that David referred to as named.root. It should have a
> > > list of all the root name servers. You can get the latest and greatest
> > > at FTP.RS.INTERNIC.NET:/domain/named.root
> >
> > I think the idea was (from Pieter at Aztec, our ISP)  was not to use
> > that list as it would be too slow and just to use aztec as a root.
> >
> I think you should still put the file from internic in and then also
> add a forwarders line in your named.boot file. Use the ip address of
> the aztec nameserver. Something like:
>
> forwarders	x.y.z.a
>
> John
> --
> John Hay -- John.Hay@csir.co.za

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

     Technical Support
     Professional Computer Manufacturers
     Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089