Date:      04 Feb 2003 15:44:21 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does natd(8) really need to see _all_ packets?

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 08:42, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> On Monday 03 February 2003 08:19 pm, Wes Peters wrote:
> = On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 05:27, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> = > Hi!
> = >
> = > This question bothered me for a while -- most of the traffic on my
> = > LAN is just that -- local. Yet my gw/firewall machine only has one
> = > interface -- with two IP addresses -- private and public on it.
> = >
> = > The DSL modem is plugged into the switch just like everything else.
> = >
> = > I doubt this is a unique setup.
>
> = It may not be unique, but it's certainly not very bright. What
> = resource are you trying to conserve here, a $4 network interface? If
> = so, I can give you a handful of them; one of the local office supply
> = stores was giving them away last December and I picked up several...
>
> Using two cards, were one works fine is against aesthetics :-) That's my
> primary reason, although there are only two slots left in the machine,
> indeed.

OK, that's a completely acceptable answer, but I suspect we're going to
differ strongly on the finer points of "works fine."

I'm glad you've hit upon a solution that is acceptable.  How 'bout
writing it up for one of the online magazines?  (Hint hint: Daemon News,
for instance. ;^)  It'll be good practice for writing the BSDCon paper
you want to do as well, won't it?

--
        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                              wes@softweyr.com