Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@soundconcept.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Further question Re: cvsupped to RELENG_4 but got 4.3-RC

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Brian D. Woodruff wrote:

> At 10:35 PM 4/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:32:39PM -0500, Brian D. Woodruff wrote:
> > > Here are my questions:
> > >
> > > 1.) is there a way to specify 4.2-STABLE, which is what I have been using?
>
> can anyone tell me how to get the STABLE version I want?
>
> I would rather be consistent across my servers than have some be one
> release past the others.

If you're using CVS to get RELENG_4 at different points in time, even if
they're all 4.2-STABLE, your servers will NOT be consistent anyway.  The
-STABLE branch is a stream, in constant development.  If you update your
sources via CVS to build one server, then the next day update sources
again to build another server, the two servers will be different.  This is
the essence of -STABLE, even though it seems to contradict the meaning of
the word "stable". :-)

If you require absolute consistency across servers, you need to either
update all servers from the very same source, or specify an exact CVS tag
to get the same sources for all servers.

And if it doesn't bother you that your servers are on different points of
4.2-STABLE, then 4.3-RC is just another point a little farther down the
development stream.  I'd actually consider the -RC to be safer bet than
the average -STABLE.

Ken