Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:12:25 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        Allen Cleveland <allenc@mindsieve.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SETI@home error

Dutch Collins wrote:

> Allen Cleveland wrote:

> > >You have to have setup an account with Berkeley. Did you do that. I
> > >have been running version 1.2 for FreeBSD 3.2 for a little over a
> > >month.
> > >
> > >Kent
> >
> > Oh..  I've an account..  the web sites says I've 'completed more work units
> > than 96.371% of our users.' :)  I want to see how much better the fbsd box
> > does than the wintel boxes  :)

> > >--
> > >Kent Stewart
> > >Richland, WA
> > >
> > >mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com
> > >http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/index.html
> > >
> > >SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
> > >http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
> > >
> > --
> > Allen Cleveland                 allenc@mindsieve.com
> > There is no try. Do, or do not do, but no try. -Yoda

> I bet you need to create a new account because you are using new software.
> The only use I have had for win98 lately is to run the win98 version. It
> is neat looking.

No! You only create one account. I have four machines running it and
the original was setup on NT 4+. I have copied the directory between
systems and deleted the state and work unit. When I execute it, it
immediately downloads a new WU and starts processing it. You can run
it from a shared directory on a different machine or a local
directory. It doesn't matter. The problems occur with demand dial.
FreeBSD DD's faster than NT did and FreeBSD will upload the results.
NT times out. If I use NAT on NT, FreeBSD and NT time out. I have a
batch file that switches between two directories. If the result.txt is
in the directory, it needs to be uploaded and I run setiathome in that
directory. I kill the job after the next WU is downloaded. That gives
me most of a day covered with out my FreeBSD system connected to my
ISP. It will alternate until I create a stop file and when that
exists, it stops the loop. If it switches and a RESULT.TXT is there,
it will upload it and download a new WU at that point. I don't have to
do anything.

I had it running on Win98 but that machine was a 200Mhz Pentium, which
needed a long-long time to do a WU. Win 98 may have taken 35 hrs and
NT 25 but the command line version for Windows NT is using 9-11 hours
depending on the number of gaussian's. If you run the GUI version, it
is very important to blank the screen or run it minimized. That alone
is worth around a factor of 2.5 or so.

Visit the web site. They now have graphics that shows where the data
has been analyzed. You can watch the earth circle through each region.
The radio telescope at Arecibo is fixed and Serendipity obtains data
where the earth is pointing the antenna at the time.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html