Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:28:25 -0500
From:      Chris Ptacek <cptacek@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Retrieving Kernel and User space Memory Usage

I am trying to characterize the impacts of some programs that I have been
working on.  One of the things that I would like to know is the amount of
kernel memory and the amount of user space memory in use.  With this
information I can run a baseline and then determine how I have effected the
system and also make some hardware estimations.

What I would like to know is there an easy way to retrieve (sysctl prefered)
this memory information?  Also getting information on virtual memory would
be nice. Basically, assuming they are available, which sysctl variables
should I be looking at?

  Thanks
    Chris