Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 03:03:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nobody Special <danm@freebsd1.firestorm2000.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Procmail as local mailer, HELP!

Okay, I'm going to be adding a LOT of users really soon, such that no
single partition I have can handle all the mail these users could
accumulate, and to this end I wanted to put mailboxes in the user
homedirs.

I tried first doing this through simple symlinks, but sendmail reorts
invalid format, so after a bit of reading I discovered that having
procmail as a local mailer enables it.  I compiled and installed (making
the necessary changes to authenticate.c), and had a few problems that were
corrected with the enclosed /usr/local/etc/procmailrc

My problem is this:According to ALL the documentation, it's okay to create
symlinks in /var/mail so that things like pine function right without
recompilation.  So why is procmail still renaming the symlinks to
bogus.Whatever, if it's set to deliver to the homedirs?

This is my /usr/local/etc/procmailrc:

LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail
MAILDIR=/.mail
DEFAULT=$HOME/.mail

This is the relevant section of sendmail.cf:

Mlocal,		P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=SAw5:/|@glDFMPhsfn, S=10/30, R=20/40,
		T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
		A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u
Mprog,		P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=10/30, R=20/40, D=$z:/,
		T=X-Unix,
		A=sh -c $u

######################*****##############
###   PROCMAIL Mailer specification   ###
##################*****##################

#####  @(#)procmail.m4	8.11 (Berkeley) 5/19/1998  #####

Mprocmail,	P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=11/31, R=21/31, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
		A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

And this is a (retyped) version of procmail -v

Locking strategies: dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf()
Your system mailbox: /root/.mail
Default rcfile:	$home/.procmailrc

If anyone can tell me why procmail is being uncooperative here, or what
other files I should include, let me know.

Help much appreciated.

-Dan