Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:48:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freezing

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Adam wrote:

> I do not mean to throw blame on freebsd at all (unless tons of people also
> see this) but I had a freeze earlier today.  I had several windows open,
> netscape, and was compiling qt2 with not much disk activity at all when it
> just froze hard as a rock in all ways I can think of.  If it happens again
> I'll look into ddc and serial console or perhaps recreating on normal
> console.  I dont suspect hardware fault but I wouldn't dismiss it.
>
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Joao Pedras wrote:
>
> >Hello all
> >
> >While making -j 4 buildworld and moving a netscape window, everything frozen.
> >Happens often if do other things while cpu and disk are very active.
> >
> >Happens quite often.
> >
> >Anyone else has noticed this ?

I have had a number of freezes, during a rm -rf  and a find at the same
time, during a cvs checkout, during a fsck on reboot.  The fsck caused a
message about an "SCB Timeout" I think.  I have returned to slightly
older 4.0-Current kernel and was going to build a new kernel.

I can try to get more information this evening, if anybody is interested.
For me the trigger seems to be heavy disk activity.

configuration summary:
K6-2 333, 80MB, aha2940(I think, adaptec PCI ultra), 4 2GB segate SCSI
drives.

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat