Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:34:50 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INDEX generation on a part of /usr/ports

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 01:39:40AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:36:53PM +0400, Alex Kapranoff wrote:
> > Good day to all!
> >
> > I used to have only part of Ports collection on my servers (unneeded
> > directories excluded via cvsup refuse-files) and about a week ago
> > INDEX generation started to fail like this:
> >
> > Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..===> russian/xmms failed:
> > "Makefile", line 21: Could not find /usr/ports/russian/xmms/../../multimedia/xmms/Makefile
> > make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> > *** Error code 1
> > 1 error
> >
> > As far as I understand we no longer support incomplete ports
> > hierarchy, am I right?
>
> We never have.

Alex, are you saying that "make index" did not run to completion, even
with many error messages?

I cvsup ports daily and use the portupgrade tools such as portversion,
so I like to have an up to date INDEX.  I have always gotten several
error messages such as the one you posted.  But it does build the INDEX.

lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html