Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 02:26:23 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Todays RELENG_4_6 can't boot with ncr810 on kernel.GENERIC

On 2 Aug 2002, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

DS> Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru> writes:
DS> > For the reference, I'd solved the problem by inserting floppy drive, boot
DS> > from 4.6-R install floppies, fixit, and ftp kernel with sym from build
DS> > machine.
DS>
DS> Couldn't you just boot kernel.old and use that to build and install a
DS> kernel with the appropriate driver?

Of course, your're [almost] right in your assumption. However, as I said,
there's extremely unlucky day [tm] ;-P -- old kernel somehow didn't
managed to boot properly. So, I've found myself with a [vital] machine
without either bootable kernel or floppy drive.

Anyway, main point of my posting was pointing out the fact that kernel
built from today's RELENG_4_6 GENERIC probed ncr _before_ sym. Which
leads to trouble, you see.

[sidenote: it's not the first time I kill loaded server with upgrading
process: being The Unhappy to build RELENG_4 on central router at the
wrong moment of initial luigi's MFCing of ipfw2 should teach me a bit --
but it didn't ;->]

Anyway, my deep respects to the Committers Team to bring us so [no irony!]
solid and reliable OS.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]